Re: [orca-list] Help upgrading orca

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Scott Rutkowski wrote:

I've just installed ubuntu 8.04rc and am wondering i've done an sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install
gnome-orca
and i'm told i already have the latest version of orca.
Now i know for a fact it's not version 2.23.1 it's the version that ships on the 8.04rc cd so what am I doing
wrong?

Well maybe:
aptitude update && aptitude upgrade
But if you really want the latest code (like from svn) you should use svn up and then recompile... Orca isn't updated as often in the repos and won't be when it becomes stable...

I want the easiest upgrade path and I feel building from the svn sounds rather complicated to a new ubuntu
user.

Not really:
apt-get install subversion
svn checkout <url> dir_to_keep_source_code_in
Then follow instructions to check the other dependencies out and build them. Then apt-get build-dep all the required packages. Again instructions on the orca site. (maybe apt-get install libgail and atk and at-spi may work)
then just build orca:
cd orca
./autogen.sh && make && sudo make install

It is fine. Then maybe:
apt-get remove gnome-orca
So you only have one version of orca.

--