Re: [orca-list] OT grub question

Yes, you can..
Here you can find a simple howto:

from gnome Terminal type:

sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst

search title string typing:

/title

Now you find the firs occurence but you need a line not strarting with #.
Lines starting with # are comments

press

to find next occurences.

In my Ubuntu 8.04 the third occurence is the first real one

Orca can read a line like this:

title           Ubuntu hardy (development branch), kernel 2.6.24-15-generic

Now you can add a special character to add a beep:

To obtain this you can type CTRL+V+G

Firs move on U character of Ubuntu word typing:

f U

then

to switch in insert mode and type:

CTRL+V+G

for writing ^G ( ASCII 007 )

Type

ESC

to exit from insert mode

and

:x

to save and exiting from the editor

Reboot your system to test it

You can add another ^G character for other Grub menu titles repeating
above steps

Attenntion: When Grub menu appears all menu titles are writen and you
listen all ^G inserted and when you move from a menu title to another,
you listen a beep for the voice you leave and a beep for the voice you
enter in

For a radical solution you can have a look to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+bug/214796
and for Grub 2 improvment:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/grub/grub2/commands/i386/pc/play.c?view=markup

Happy hacking