[orca-list] I need help with SUSE 10.3 -- gnome application manager

Hello all,

I don't believe Novell have done it again!  They've gone as far as
including Gnome 2.20 in their distribution but they've made a complete
mess of getting the accessibility support right.

first roblemis when you don't use any repositories when installing from
the Gnome CD.  At-spi won't be installed for you by default so Gnome
will give out about that if you try to enable accessibility support.
One of the people working with me joaked that it's ironic that Gnome
shows a visual message on the screen to show blind people that
accessibility support won't be inabled when two seconds before orca was
speaking.

Second problem comes when you install using the repositories.  Ok,
at-spi is then installed however Orca doesn't behave properly at all.  I
wish I knew how to pin down the route of these problems because at this
stage I'm just speculating.

Orca works with firefox 3, evolution, the terminal, it even reads some
of the yast options now in Gnome.  However, the gnome main window isn't
spoken, neither are the orca options and pidgin isn't spoken either.  It
looks almost like accessibility support hasn't been properly enabled.
When I tried verifying this, I was told the gnome settings manager
wasn't installed correctly.  I installed a few applications that were
possibly nomesettings manager related as there was no specific gnome
settings manaer package available for SUSE in the repositories and now
that message has gone away hower orca is still not speaking
everything.
Anyone got any ideas?

I'm sorry my message is so vague and my spelling is terrible.  Orca has
decided to stop speaking.  I'm using ubuntu at themoment but I know the
cause of that.  I rokesomething yesterday and I haven't had time to fix
it yet.

oh the joys of linux.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help with tis nomeproblem
in SUSE.  I should possibly creae a document for the knowledge base in
novell abouthis very early next week before the consumer version is
shipped.

Darragh