[orca-list] would like some very basic help

Hi, listers.

I downloaded the live CD for Ubuntu 7.10 and am running into trouble.  I got it booted onto my Windows XP computer, and it started talking.  The spoken messages took me a list of choices as to language, keyboard layout, whether I wanted braille enabled, etc.  Then it siad, "Setup complete.  Press return to continue."  Well, I hit the Enter key and it went completely dead.  I kept pressing different keys, but no speech.  I've looked through all kinds of books, and reviewed some of the documentation on the Orca page, but it's kind of like a puzzle that I can't put together.  Should I have started with another version of Linux?   I thought this would be a good choice because I could explore it before making the commitment to install it, but maybe that was a mistake.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beth Wright