Re: [orca-list] gutsy not installing were speech

Hello,
All the instructions you should need for installing Gutsy are on the
wikki at http://live.gnome.org/Orca but their not updated from 7.04
yet.  Look below for a few tips.
On 08/11/2007, michael weaver <weavermicha googlemail com> wrote:
recently both my desktop and laptop had memorz upgrades, my
laptop to half a gig ram and my desktop is now 1 gig so i am now
able to run the ubuntu live coulds with speech which i have never
been able to do before because of the limited amount of ram in
both machines.
however i have not been able to do an independent installation of
gutsy despite still having speech when typing ubiquity.  all i
got was tab and when i tried orca kezstrokes all i got with the
standard keyboard commands for the keys i pressed which again
prevented me from doing an eyes free install and fortunately i
had someone from my local linux group at my flat as he was
getting my pcs up and running with linux.
i typed the orca no-setup disable main window before ubiquity but
it looks like the information being shown during installation -
still being hidden from orca.
does anyone know what i could have been doing wrong?

Well, the first thing I can think of is that Ubiquity is run with
elevated privlidges and when Orca is run as a normal user it will not
be able to access windows that have more elevation than it.

try the following:
1.  boot your computer with the Ubuntu 7.10 CD in your cd drive.
2.  When you get to the boot menu, i.e. you quickly notice a period of
inactivity on your computer, press f5 to enter the accessibility menu
then press 3 followed by the enter key twice.  This will start orca
when Gnome starts.
Note, if Orca does not start and instead you hear the Gnome start up
sound, press alt then f2 to launch the run dialogue box, type the word
orca in the edit box provided and finally, press enter to start Orca.
3.  When Orca is running, press alt f2, type gnome-terminal then press
enter to launch it.
4.  type sudo orca --no-setup --disable main-window  and press enter.
5.  Now, open another terminal window from which you will start the
Ubiquity installation program from.  Press alt f2, type gnome-terminal
then press enter.
6.  now type sudo ubiquity

You should now notice that Orca is speaking the installation pages.

Hope this helps.