[orca-list] Permission problem????

Hello all:

I am having a problem with orca.  I'm hoping I can get some suggestions as
where to look.  I searched the website without success.

I am running fedora 7 and have compiled orca 2.21.0 with gnome-speech 0.4.16.
I have included drivers for festival, espeak and dectalk in gnome-speech.

The test-speech utility works fine for all users.  My environment variables
are:

export BONOBO_ACTIVATION_PATH=/usr/local/lib/bonobo/servers:/usr/lib/bonobo/servers
export ORBIT_TYPELIB_PATH=/usr/local/lib/orbit-2.0:/usr/lib/orbit-2.0
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.5:/usr/lib/python2.5

Here is a ttipocal login procedure I would normally follow:

bring the system to run-level 5 "telinit 5"
when I hear the soft beep, Login as my self.
wait until I hear the disk activity slow down.
Do an control-alt-f1 to get a text console.
Login again as my self.
issue an orca command.

I get:
Welcome to orca.
Starting orca preferrences.
This might take a while.

At this point, nothing further happens.  I then do an control-alt-f7 to get
back to the X session.  Doing an alt-tab switches me between:

Orca preferrences inaccessible
orca screen reader / magnifier inaccessible

The funny thing it all works as root.

Anyone got any ideas?  I've checked permissions on everything I could fine.
I've checked both my and root's environment.  I wonder if there is a pipe or
socket somewhere with the wrong permissions.

Many THANKS!

Terry