[orca-list] new member

Hi all

I am looking into orca and linux for the first time.  I am a student at UC Berkeley and much of my computing history consists of windows.  Within the last year, I changed over to mac OS X with voiceover and am now looking at a summer project that does not inclued windows.

My first question is as follows.  I want to run ubuntu linux on my macbook pro using a virtual computer with VMWare Fusion.  I have no idea what I am doing or the problems that i will encounter and any help in installing/ using orca that I should know please feel free to mention it.  The probleme that I have forseen at this point is with my keyboard.  I was looking at commands like alt f2, and insert enter.  My apple keyboard does not have an insert or alt key.  I used windows with it and had jaws key set to caps lock, and the alt key is the option key (where the windows key would be if this were not a mac.)  Does anyone have some help they could offer on this?  Is anyone in a similar situation?

Thanks and I look forward to hopefully entering the world of linux

Justin Harford

"A man's memory is bound to be a distortion of his past in accordance with his present interests, and the most faithful autobiography is likely to mirror less what a man was than what he has become."

Fawn M. Brodie