[orca-list] Ubuntu Studio: Orca, Apps, Sound and Locales

Hi,
As one of my big reasons of not yet going with LInux is availability of accessible MIDI seq, soft synth and audio editing apps, I've been following Ubuntu Studio with curiousity. But before I try and see which apps are accessible and which not, and commit tens of gigs of disk space in a dual-booting setup, a crucial question or two:

1. Does Orca and Espeak come in Ubuntu Studio just like it comes with Ubuntu 7.04? If not, can they be added and how, or is accessibility optimized away? I do know Ubuntu Studio is based on 7.04 bbut their site is down due to high demand and the Wiki lacks some coverage, so that's why I'm here.

2. Are there boot options for enabling a speech-based setup similarly to plain Ubuntu?

3. Which MIDI seqs, audio editors and such should I use, is, say, Audacity currently accessible using Orca?

4. two questions on speech synths. I have a multi I/O sound card. HOw do I determine to which out Espeak speaks, without changing the default device in Gnome? In Windows, some synths let you tweak that and others go with the default audio device. Also, any chance of getting prompts in English while the synth speaks Finnish? A sighted, local Linux guru demonstrated me Orca and the Feisty, but we didn't manage to get the prompts localized I.e. the English prompts were spoken in Finnish. There are no Finnish screen reader prompts currently, I guess I could localize given a simple enough file format, though I personally like to retain all prompt text in English regardless of the screen text language.

As to what kind of apps I'm looking for, for your information, here are some:

- A sound FOrge clone: the best would be Audacity I guess and it uses WxWidgets so should be accessible, right?

- A QWS or sonar clone: Rose Garden was hyped, so is that GTK+ 2? If not, another LInux friend told Ardour will have MIDI soon and is GTK2 based. But can it host soft synths?

- Winamp equivalent: XMMS is not accessible so which one should I use if I need game music plugs?

I do realize these software queries are OT:ish here so feel free to ignore them or reply off-list.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila mail student oulu fi)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/