Re: [orca-list] Word processing, email, web browsing & MP3's

On 08/05/07, ANN <tate886 anntate com> wrote:
Hi folks,

I am just now wanting to try out Orca with Ubuntu. Can anyone give me an
idea of how easy it is to use this to read email, browse the web, and
play my MP3 files? Oh, yes, and write the occasional word processing
and/or spread sheet documents?
ok,
firstly welcome to the world of orca and ubuntu and congratulations on
choosing to live in freedom because it is your right.
now to the points.
ubuntu is very very easy and now almost completely accessible because
gnome combied with orca gives extreme accessibility.
use the latest version of firefox 3 and also get the latest source of orca from
http://svn.gnome.org/svn/orca/trunk through subversion.
in some previous emails enough instructions have been given and if you
still have a problem do write to me off list and I will give the
instructions again to you personally.
openoffice is completely accessible.   only thing you must take care
is that for tabulated data you will need to use spreadsheet
application and not the word processor.
to create good formatted documents you can go to the applications menu
by pressing alt and f1, then choose office and then sub menu by right
arrow and then choose open office word processor.
you will also find spreadsheet in the same group.
firefox should be downloaded from the latest nightly build ftp folder.
and then after unzipping go to the directory called firefox and then
run ./firefox.
you need to install xmms for mp3 and then choose the files you want to
play and then right click on the selected file/ files.  then quit orca
and go 3 arrows down and hit enter.
the better way to do this is to select the files then quit orca with
insert q and then pressing the right click or popup menu button
besides the right ctrl.  then press down arrow 3 times and hit enter.
in xmms b will move to the next song and z to the previous.  left and
right arrows rewind and forward the song and up and down arrows will
increase or decrease the volume.
x plays the song and v stops.  c can be used to pause the song.
afterall this is a work around and since I always shut down the screen
reader while playing musick this kind of setup suits me.  other
listers can suggest other proper ways.
don't forget to install xmms.
further more I hope you know the apt-get command utility so that you
can install new softwares.
brasero is the cd burning tool you must use.
if any further help is needed please let me know.
regards,
Krishnakant.