[orca-list] orca and an updated ubuntu system

How do I tell as a beginner user to Ubuntu if my updating and upgrading of Ubuntu has been sucessful? I have done both the sudo-apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade but you get a lot of verbal information about what the system is trying to fetch and Orca doesn't exactly say anything such as "update Successful" or "upgrade successful" so I am wondering if there had been errors I would have been told that "package such and such couldn't be updated or upgraded." As someone just starting with Ubuntu it is verry difficult for a newby to tell whether there has been any problems. As far as I am aware Orca hasn't seemed to have flagged any although when I did a sudo apt-get upgrade I did hear something about Python problem unless Orca was refering to fixes for Python so I don't know if what it was saying during the upgrade was a genuine problem. at the end it seemed to do a removing such and such and building such and such so is this something it normally does when successful?