Re: [orca-list] Again: Orca and internet radio

On Fri, Mar 23, hermann wrote:
Hi,
a few weeks ago I reported a problem with Orca and Rhythmbox when
listening to internet radio:
As long as Orca is active I cannot hear anything when starting to play a
station. Turning Orca off and getting back to RB, the stream starts.
Some list members suspected a hardware problem concerning my sound
device. However I doubt whether this is the reason why I can't listen to
radio:

Hi Hermann

Both gnome-speech and speech dispatcher use oss.  This causes us some trouble when trying to use multiple
audio sources.  I haven't tracked down which exact use cases yet.  Gnome-speech is written this way so that
it will work on other u*ix systems like solaris.  Hopefully at some point we will get a speech system for
orca and lsr that uses alsa.

--Frank