[orca-list] GMSGFMT mystery solved

Earlier today I posted that I was getting a Makefile with a null GMSGFMT variable. I figured out that it was because I needed to install the debian gettext package. Once I installed that, I was able to make and install orca. It doesn't work but it's installed. :-)

I'm going to putz with it some more tomorrow. I may need to ask for help again but I'm going to try to figure it out myself first. I had done that with the GMSGFMT problem but I didn't think I was going to figure that one out on my own.

PS: I am using the current stable version of orca, 2.18.0 I think it is. Not the version from svn. With the version from svn, it said I had to update gnome-common from cvs and I didn't know how to do that. So I went back to the tarball I had downloaded and got that to compile.

PPS: I've been taking notes on what I've been doing to get orca working on my debian testing system. I have to get it working on debian testing because that is what we have in my department at the University of Wisconsin. Here are my notes (they are very brief).

===
orca---
wget http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/sources/orca/2.18/orca-2.18.0.tar.gz
      tar -zxf orca-2.18.0.tar.gz

apt-get install gcc libexpat1-dev
perl -MCPAN -e "install XML::Parser"
apt-get install pkg-config libglib2.0-dev python-dev python-pyorbit-dev
apt-get install python-at-spi gettext