[orca-list] empty GMSGFMT variable

I'm trying to build orca 2.18.0. I ran the configure script and it seemed to finish okay. But when I ran make, it bombed out.

# make
[...]
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/orca/po'
file=`echo ar | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
         && rm -f $file &&  -o $file ar.po
/bin/sh: line 1: -o: command not found

  I looked at the Makefile in orca/po and it says this:
GMSGFMT =
[...]
&& rm -f $$file && $(GMSGFMT) -o $$file $<

Apparently, the problem is that the GMSGFMT variable is set to null. So I ooked at the configure script but I couldn't figure out what it is supposed to be. Any ideas how to fix this problem?