Orca SEVERE Firefox regression independent of (was Re: is now crashing Firefox 3.0)

Hi All:

I noticed Firefox crashing as well. The Firefox folks seem to have introduced a severe regression between Saturday and Sunday: Firefox crashes regardless of whether Orca is running or not. The main crash in Firefox that I'm experiencing is when I just happen to click on a link. If you revert back to Saturday's nightly, the problem goes away:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/2007-03-10-04-trunk/firefox-3.0a3pre.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2

As an aside...

I've noticed people talking about the perceived instability of Orca itself, and I feel compelled to make a slight perception adjustment. Orca typically keeps running along when working with well behaved applications. The main barriers to accessibility are when something goes awry in the AT-SPI infrastructure or an application. The two main things that can go awry are either an application hanging or an application crashing. Due to the implementation of the AT-SPI, if an application hangs, it can hang an assistive technology and/or the entire accessibility infrastructure (and thus the desktop). Orca has some defensive mechanisms in it for hangs, but it cannot always detect all hangs. As such, when an application is behaving poorly, we sometimes have the paradoxical requirement of needing to restart Orca to recover from poor application behavior.

In my experiences, crashing applications are due to bugs in the application and/or toolkit that the application uses. That is, when an application crashes, I'm usually pretty confident that there's not a bug in Orca that caused the crash. Instead, it's typically a legal AT-SPI call from Orca that's causing a bug in the application/toolkit/AT-SPI to manifest itself in a catastrophic way. When faced with these crashes, however, we will do the following:

1) Track the problem down. Can we avoid tickling the bug in the application/toolkit/AT-SPI? If so, we try to implement defensive and avoidance strategies in Orca itself. A recent extreme example includes not looking at tooltips because examining tooltips through legal AT-SPI calls would cause the application to crash.

2) Whether we can work around the problem or not, we log a bug with the application, toolkit, and or AT-SPI infrastructure team. We also pester them to make sure they fix the problem. In the event that they don't fix the problem, we go into their code and fix it for them and plead with them to take our patch. This represents a considerable time sink for us, but someone has to do it.

From an end user standpoint, I realize a crash is a crash and you don't care. But, *I* care about the perception people have of Orca itself. We're a very hard working team and it hurts a little bit when I see Orca taking the blame for failures in other components. I do have to remind myself that's what happens when you are on top of the food chain - you get ill when your food sources become toxic.

The good thing is that maintainers of the application, toolkit, and AT-SPI infrastructure components really do care about accessibility. Moving forward, we're working step by step to encourage component maintainers to test their changes for accessibility regressions before committing them. This represents a cultural shift, and is thus something that will not happen overnight.

Will
(Orca Project Lead)