Re: [orca-list] virtualbox success

Hi

it is possible to get espeak to use alsa using the alsa-oss package.  After following the below procedure,
you should be able to get virtualbox and
other programs which use alsa to work at the same time as espeak.  Please note that it is possible that you
will lose speech all together if
something goes rong, so I would recommend only doing this if you have some other way of accessing the machine
which doesn't depend on gnome-speech
like ssh or emacspeak etc.

open a terminal and type the following command:

sudo dpkg-divert --rename /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver

make sure it worked with:
ls /usr/bin/espeak-*

it should say /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver.distrib

If you don't have nano installed, install it:
sudo apt-get -q install nano
or use a different editor in the next command:

sudo nano -w /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver

enter the following text:
#!/bin/bash
exec /usr/bin/aoss /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver.distrib $@

save and exit with control-x, then y then enter.

now type:

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver

Log out and in again, and if everything went ok, you should have espeak working with alsa.

from withing virtualbox, you can switch back to Ubuntu by pressing the right control key and then alt tab.

If you lose speech, or it isn't working well, you can restore it with:

make sure that /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver.distrib exists before entering the following commands:
sudo rm /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver
sudo dpkg-divert --rename --local --remove /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver

Any problems, let me know.

Regards

Rob