[orca-list] Orca silent on Ubuntu Gutsy

Hi listers,
yesterday I tried to start Ubuntu Gutsy alpha. At first I pressed f5 then twice enter; second I pressed just enter and when the musical sound came I entered alt-f3 and then orca. in both cases I couldn't get speech from orca. Can anyone corroborate this? Does anyone have an Idea what I can do? I'd also like to mention that as a bad side effect of dropping Speakup from Ubuntu this Cdrom is totally unusable for me; otherwise I might explore the reasons and maybe find some remedy!
Regards Ernst