Re: [orca-list] Espeak, Esound and Speech-dispatcher

Hermann,

The way I've done it is to use the gnome espeak driver and then I
installed the gstreamer plugins for alsa. This lets me hear sounds
wherever they are needed. I'm not sure how Ubuntu/Debian do it, but all
I had to do on this system was
emerge gst-plugins-alsa
and everything worked once I changed my sound device to alsa in sound
preferences.

Hth,
Garrett

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 05:57:13PM +0200, Jan Buchal wrote:
Hi Herman,

"H" == Hermann  <steppenwolf2 onlinehome de> writes:

    H> Hi, when I use the 3 mentioned programs together, I face
    H> deactivating of sound by Esound, whenever a sound event is
    H> played, for example a mail arrives. This happens when I've
    H> started the GUI, but not in text mode only, because Esound isn't
    H> used there. To make a long story short, it seems that Espeak
    H> causes the problem, because it outputs the sound via play or
    H> aplay. I came to that conclusion because extended testing showed,
    H> that when I use SD with another synth - Festival or Flite - this
    H> doesn't happen. Both synts don't use external programs to produce
    H> speech output. It does not happen when I use Espeak with
    H> Gnome-speech, but the speech quality is not that excellent, as
    H> with SD: The speech is stuttering, and it is turned off as soon
    H> as I play an audio file, due to the fact that Gnome-speech uses
    H> OSS. The only solution I found is deactivating softmixing and
    H> that means deactivating Esound; Consequence: I have no system
    H> sounds including e-mail notification. I experience this since the
    H> upgrade to Feisty. What can I do to find a better solution? Are
    H> there plans to develop a driver for SD and Espeak, so that no
    H> player is needed? Hermann

Yes I can comfir it. I see it as gnome audio problem and audio system
generaly. The solution is not so easy. Alsa is prefered audio system in
kernel but what I know still not exist some useful audio server which
response our needs. Maybe port audio libraries can help but that means
gnome wil have some internal sound server which will use it.

We must think about and search some solution.

Best

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008