[orca-list] sudo password is the password of the current user?

Title: Message
Hi...

I was attempting to update orca in ubuntu 7.04. I ran across the following issues which seem a little interesting.

user ubuntu7 04$~ sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-orca
enter password: *******
su: authentication failed. Sorry.
user ubuntu7 04$~

I tried everything. I looked at some stuff about root passwords online (my root password is not set). I found out that "the sudo password is the password you created for [the user]". What does this mean and is it secure? Is it only meant for the first user created at install?