Re: Orca There's something with Firefox 3 and a11y.

I was just able to confirm this. Kenny and Krister, I am going to assume that you're using Feisty rather than Edgy. If so, this seems to be yet another problem associated with at-spi revisions beginning with 882. <frown> Using revision 881, I don't have this problem.

I am *relatively* certain that using revision 881 doesn't cause other/different bad things to happen, but I make no promises. You've been warned. <smile> That said, if you are having at-spi woes (like this one, like registry crashes, etc.) and want to give it a try, you can get this revision via subversion:

svn co --revision 881 http://svn.gnome.org/svn/at-spi/trunk at-spi-881

Then cd into your new at-spi-881 directory, build and install like you normally do, and reboot. Hopefully life will be better. If it isn't and you want to revert to the official at-spi you can do so with apt-get:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall at-spi

Note to others: If you are running Edgy, I would not try this. I have vague recollections of reading that some change in the recent version(s) of at-spi made it inadvisable to install it if you are using GNOME 2.16.

Hope this helps. And if you do try it and it does fix things -- or even if it doesn't -- please post something here.

Take care.
Joanie

Kenny Hitt wrote:
Hi.

I only recently started using Firefox 3.  I have the same problem.  It
doesn't start until I close Firefox.  At that point, Orca can't read my
panels, desktop, or terminals.  With terminals, the results are strange.
Oca can see the data on the screen, but it doesn't follow the cursor. With the desktop or a panel, Orca tells me when they have focus, but
can't read anything.
The only way to fix the problem is to log out and in again.

BTW, is there a way to disable the talkback plugin?  That thing isn't
accessible.

          Kenny