Re: Orca A few more questions

Hi:

(Jorge - there's a question for you below...)

All right there are couple of those. Actually you only need to tell me if they are in the "read back text to you" sense (1) of referring to "speech" in general (2).

I'm still not grok'ing the difference between the above, but I'm not sure we need to labor on my denseness here. You could substitute "speech synthesis engine" for "speech" in all of the examples you provided. Does that help?

    Braille is indeed what you think it is.  We don't have a program called
    "braille," but there is such a device we refer to as a "refreshable
    braille display".  People who use braille with Orca use such a device.

Ok. So since if any string were referring to that special display I would probably include the word display. It is safe to assume that all occurrences of the word is in the former sense.

I think that may work.  But, "braille" is also used as a verb sometimes:

"Speak and braille a previous chat room message."

This might be reduced to just "Present a previous chat room message."

Hmm. Actually I may have blown this one. I forgot to mention that there is also this string right after:
"Use Mod.1"
#. MOD_USED1
#.
#: ../src/orca/orca_gui_prefs.py:133

that would probably suggest that it should be translated. But in that case my original question remain. I'll wait for your reply.

JORGE: there are a few strings flagged as needing translation in the keybindings stuff:

msgid "Mod.Mask 1"
msgid "Use Mod.1"
msgid "Key1"
msgid "Mod.Mask 2"
msgid "Use Mod.2"
msgid "Key2"

When I look at the UI, I don't see these strings. Are they exposed to the user? If not, we should unmark them as needing translation.

I don't have StarOffice. Is it like in OpenOffice where the window title reads: "OpenOffice.org writer" In that case it wont be translated at all.

That's it!

user. Like OpenOffice writer can be opened as oowriter. But hey it's probably not a bad idea to include the string. Who knows the Chinese might do it differently.

We try to do it rarely, especially because two different people might be doing the translation (e.g., one for Orca, another for OpenOffice). The policies of the different teams may differ and the word choice may also differ. So...we try to make sure we provide a note to the translators that say "this string should be what application x does for the language." We only resort to this when no other internationalized alternative is available.

Thanks!

Will