Orca new user trying to access a terminal window

Hi all,
I'm a completely blind new Linux user and I've just started interacting with
the latest Ubuntu live CD with the assistance of Orca.  What I've seen of
Orca so far seems really impressive and I'm slowly getting to grips with it.
I'm currently trying to get hold of a reasonably low  specification computer
to fully install Ubuntu on to.  I plan to use it mainly as a backup server
for the rest of my small home network.  My goal is to independently install
the OS, then spend time setting up the various services and shares using
Orca then Telnet or SSH from other Windows boxes in the future for other
administration tasks.

I hope it's ok to ask basic questions on this list and please correct me if
this is only for development discussion.

I'm trying to enter a virtual terminal window in Ubuntu so I can enter
various commands.  When ever I try this though with control Alt F1 Orca
stops speaking and I'm with out voice feedback.  As I said I'm a very new
user so I'm probably doing some thing wrong.  how should I access a terminal
window with Orca?

Thanks for any help.

cheers
Will