Orca A few more questions

Hello everybody
Thank you Will and Daniel for your replies to my question about "flat review". Regarding what Daniel wrote

"This very question was raised by the Swedish translator.  I wonder if we
should add a section to the wiki explaining some of these concepts...."

That is probably a good idea for the users, but from the point of view of the translators it's actually better if you explain it in the comment in the header of the .po file. You see, the translation teams aren't always so fortunate as to have a user of all the different pieces of software that we translate. And if you are not a user it simply takes to much time to try and get a overview of the documentation and track down the info that way.

Anyway I'm almost done with the translation now and a few more questions have popped up. These aren't as general but mostly have to do with ambiguities between the English and Danish language. Actually these questions are more a matter of convenience since I could probably deduce the answer if I took the time to try and get to learn the software, but I don't really have the time for that. I understand that your guys are probably busy too and so if you haven't got the time to answer these, that is off course quite all right. Now on to the questions

1. (speech) Ambiguity
In Danish the word for what people does when they talk (tale) and the word for having something read to you (læse op) are different. So my question is, besides from the strings that concerns adjusting the pitch and tone does the term speech always concern the latter of the two?

2. (greyed) Ambiguity
#: ../src/orca/braillegenerator.py:197 ../src/orca/speechgenerator.py:198
What is greyed. Is it buttons or text or ...? That would also be different in Danish depending on what it is that is "greyed"

3. (braille)
According to my dictionary "braille" is that kind of text that blind people can read by touching it (blindeskrift). But is that always the use of the term or is there also a program or device called that?

4. (heading)
Heading can also by translated into different words in danish depending on whether it is, a head line or the header of tekstfile. It is relevant in the following strings:
#: ../src/orca/Gecko.py:3031 ../src/orca/Gecko.py:3042
No more headings
#: ../src/orca/rolenames.py:543.
Header

The same goes for footer
#: ../src/orca/rolenames.py:548
footer
is that only the kind you can have i text documents at the buttom of the page or is it more general than that in this case

5. (chunk)
#: ../src/orca/Gecko.py:3053 ../src/orca/Gecko.py:3064
I assume that we're talking about a text chunk

6. (Enter y or n)
I assume that the y or n characters are hardcoded since I can't seem to find a string for them. Is that correct? Because in the case I'm going to make a special construction here, something like "Tast y(ja) eller n(nej)", because the danish words for yes and no doesn't start with the same letters.

7. (Mod.Mask 1)
#: ../src/orca/orca_gui_prefs.py:123
_If_ it is short for modification mask, then does the translation need to be kept short also

8. (desktop)
#: ../src/orca/orca_console_prefs.py:307
1. Desktop
In this it is fairly obvious that it is a desktop (computer) you are referring to since the next string is Laptop, but
#: ../src/orca/orca_gui_prefs.py:1922 ../src/orca/orca-setup.glade.h:66
_Desktop
here I can't tell whether you are referring to the computer or the workspace on the screen

9. Abbreviations in rolenames.py
There are a lot a three string sets like this one:
ckm
CheckMenu
check menu
What are the abbreviations going to used for? Are there any certain rules I should try to create them by, like only using consonants? Is it necessary to keep them the same length as the English ones?

10. (writer)
#: ../src/orca/scripts/StarOffice.py:1469
Is it just the persom currently writing or a writer as in, "the writer of the document" or "author of the book"

I hope you have the time, and if so I promise I won't disturb you again untill after the 2.18 release ;)
Regards Kenneth Nielsen