Orca [Fwd: Announcing v2.17.91]

FYI. Orca v2.17.91 is now available. We're approaching the end of the GNOME 2.18 schedule, so if people can try Orca v2.17.91 out and let us know if we broke anything, it would be great. We've come a long way since we released Orca v1.0.0 about 5 months ago, and a lot of that is the direct result of the positive and helpful community we share on this list. Thanks everyone!

Note that I don't think we'll never be "done" - desktops continually evolve and there's a large and growing number of apps to use. We're going to keep hammering away until the hard code freeze on March 5, and possibly right up to the GNOME 2.18.0 release on March 14th. After that, it's on to GNOME 2.20 for the fall. We'll keep making forward progress step by step.

Our main focus between now and GNOME 2.18.0 is going to be Firefox 3.0. The Firefox 3.0 team has addressed a number of the crucial bugs for us in the past week or so; I hope we'll be able to make some good strides in the next few weeks as a result. We'll also continue to evaluate the GNOME 2.17.x code base and flush out and fix general accessibility problems.

Thanks everyone!

Will

--- Begin Message ---
===============
* What is Orca?
===============

Orca is a free, open source, flexible, and extensible screen reader that provides access to the graphical
desktop via user-customizable combinations of speech, braille, and/or magnification.  Orca development has
been led by the Sun Microsystems, Inc., Accessibility Program Office via continued engagement with its end
users and contributions from wonderful community members.

You can also read more about Orca at http://live.gnome.org/Orca.

The Orca 2.17.x series are designated for the GNOME 2.17.x releases, but should also work well on the GNOME
2.16.x releases.

NOTE ON FIREFOX 3.0 SUPPORT: we know many of you are anxiously awaiting compelling access to the web via Orca
and Firefox.  As of v2.17.91, the support is still under development and both the Orca and Firefox teams are
working feverishly to get it there for Firefox 3.0.

===================================
* What's changed for Orca v2.17.91?
===================================

* Fix for bug 385949: Better handling of comboboxes in Firefox 3.0.
  (Thanks for the fix, Joanie!)

* Work on bug 363830: announce when bold, underline, italics, and
  the various alignment toggle buttons change state in OpenOffice.
  (Thanks for the fix, Joanie!)

* Fix for bug 397787: Orca now handles if OpenOffice recovery mode
  better.

* Fix for bug 405541: provide better handle brailling of message
  summaries in Thunderbird message summary list.

* Fix for bugs 403767 and 405562: provide better support for
  autocompletion components in Thunderbird.

* Fix for bug 398531: handle the speech preferences tab page better.

* Fix for bug 380050: Orca windows are now focused after user
  presses "Quit" or "Preferences" button in Orca Preferences
  window.  (Thanks for testing, Joanie!)

* Work on bug 400763: much improvement to the responsiveness after
  starting an update from the update manager.

* Fix for bugs 400766 and 348464: better handling of autocomplete
  entries in GTK widgets as used by the "Run..." dialog and Evolution.

* Continued work on Gecko.py script for Firefox 3.0.  We're getting
  there step by step, and it requires work both inside Firefox 3.0
  and inside Orca.

* Updated to support latest BrlAPI.  Orca should now work various
  versions of BrlTTY and BrlAPI.

* New and updated translations (THANKS EVERYONE!!!):

    ar      Arabic               Djihed Afifi and Khaled Hosny
    ca      Catalan              Gil Forcada and Josep Puigdemont i Casamajó
    en_GB   English/British      David Lodge
    fr      French               Stéphane Raimbault, Robert-André Mauchin
                                 and Jonathan Ernst
    it      Italian              Luca Ferretti
    nb      Norwegian Bokmål     Kjartan Maraas
    sv      Swedish              Daniel Nylander
    th      Thai                 Supranee Thirawatthanasuk and
                                 Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
    zh_HK   Traditional Chinese  Chao-Hsiung Liao
    zh_TW   Traditional Chinese  Chao-Hsiung Liao

* Where can I get it?

You can obtain Orca v2.17.91 in source code form at the following:

http://download.gnome.org/sources/orca/2.17/orca-2.17.91.tar.gz
http://download.gnome.org/sources/orca/2.17/orca-2.17.91.tar.bz2

Enjoy!

The Orca Team