Re: Orca FW: Is the Update-manager accessible with ?

Hi Ian:
What is slightly more concerning is that whilst it is performing the update
Orca doesn't respond at all - I presume this is a "safety feature" in case
one of the updates is to Orca or a dependancy?    Once completed,
accessability returns to the desktop, but not fully to the Update Manager.

We (the GNOME community) are working on this as a whole. It requires work across the infrastructure, and that should hopefully be ready for GNOME 2.18.

I highlighted this on the Ubuntu list at the beginning of the month, and
there have been a couple of other postings about other system applications
that eithre have no accessability or very little apparently built in.

The main problem is not that it's not built in (it typically is). The main problem is that the assistive technology doesn't know when an application running as another user (e.g., root) is present on the machine. There's been a lot of work in this space over the past few months to make sure these apps are exposed. It's still churning.

I have been pondering on this for some time.  It would seem logical that the
Gnome developers use a common language to develop the Gnome apps, so how
difficult would it be to have a common library so that the app developers
can pick their controls with the necessary AT-SPI stuff already coded in,
and have the application base modules already have the AT-SPI interface
pre-built in?  This would mean that any GUI application built would
instantly have the necessary interfaces in it, and we as a community
wouldn't struggle so much.

This is the goal. There is a common library for toolkits to use (atk) which provides this support. The GTK+ GUI toolkit uses is, OpenOffice uses it, Firefox/Thunderbird/Gecko use it, etc. The only issues we run into are when: 1) an application developer decides they are smarter than the toolkit and absolutely must create their own widget, and 2) a toolkit developer decides they don't like existing toolkits and decide to write their own. All we can do is these cases is remind these clever people that accessibility is important and that tools exist to help them make their brand new and improved stuff accessible.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Will