To: "Joanmarie Diggs" <joanmarie diggs gmail com>
Cc: <oedipus hicom net>; "orca-list" <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Performance enhancements for Firefox 3

Hi, Joanmarie:

Joanmarie Diggs writes:
> ..., is the confusion between down-arrow in a combo-box and down-arrow
> for content navigation on the agenda for enhancement? Is that an FF
> issue? Do I need to explain myself more on this point?

I could use some more explanation I'm afraid.  If you're not in a combo
box, down arrow moves you from line to line.  If you are in a combo box,
down arrow moves you to the next item in the combo box.  That's a
Firefox thang.

The problem occurs, imho, when you down-arrow through text, but land
inside a combo without realizing it. Subsequent down-arrows alter the
combobox setting, rather than taking you to subsequent lines. Yes, it's
very possible to land in, and change the value of a combo without
realizing it.

We will be adding commands to move to the next object
which should be useful for escaping combo boxes.  However right now, if
you are on a collapsed combo box, left and right should move you off of
it.  You can also tab away from them.

So.... What should we be doing differently?  If it's a bug, then I'll
see about getting it fixed soon. (Agency holiday shutdown means more
Orca time next week.  Woo hoo!)  If it's a user interaction change, then
I will leave that to Mike Pedersen to discuss and "spec out."

Suggest mimicing the behavior in applications where one first presses
spacebar to activate the combobox change. That would make Orca more
consistent, imho.

But, we should probably ask community opinion on this. I've been caught
by this one so much, I suspect I'm not the only one has stumbled into
the problem. Yes, I understand how to undo, etc., but an ounce of
prevention, especially if it brings Orca into more consistent behavior,
is probably worthy of consideration. I'm not on the FF list, but will
forward this to someone who is and can push to that discussion as well.

Thanks, Joanmarie.

Janina

Thanks!
--Joanie

--

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.202.595.7777; sip:janina a11y org
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Chair, Open Accessibility janina a11y org
Linux Foundation http://a11y.org