Re: [orca-list] ImportError: No module named brl

Thanks, Willy. But I fixed the problem by giving up on the debian packages and building orca from the tar ball instead. That gave me a newer version anyway. But I would have had a problem with your suggestion because I don't think I could get to the orca preferences because I couldn't start orca.

For the record, I think you can get orca working in debian fairly easily by installing the debian packages and then building orca from the tarball. The first step is necessary because it will install all the dependencies. Then you can just download the tarball, do a make and a make install . It worked for me anyway.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Willie Walker" <William Walker Sun COM>
To: "John Heim" <jheim math wisc edu>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] ImportError: No module named brl

Hi John:

You'll get this error if you tell Orca you want to use braille, but Orca cannot find anything that supports braille on the machine. If you are not a braille user, you can use the Orca preferences/configuration GUI to get rid of this message.

If you are a braille user, however, something has gone awry with how BrlTTY/BrlAPI are configured on your machine and we'll need to figure out what is going on. What version of BrlTTY do you have?

Will