[orca-list] Problem with brltty

Hello list,
since I installed Ubuntu 7.10, I've experienced a strange problem with brltty.
When I boot, brltty seems to start regularly (I get brltty 3.72 on my display), then a message appears that says:
startup problem

When I log in and Orca starts, I disconnect the braille display for a second or so and then reconnect it, and the display shows "screen not in text mode", instead of the "Welcome to Orca" message. If I press Alt+f1, the menu shows regularly, and after that brltty seems to work perfectly well.

Can it be avoided?
Thanks and cheers,
Ollie