Re: [orca-list] Need guidance on imported XLS

Thanks, Joanie, for taking the time to understand this document and
provide such thorough guidance. You're the best.

Janina

Joanmarie Diggs writes:
Hi Janina

1.) Is there anything in the design of this xls that doesn't import
well into OpenOffice? If so, I may be able to get a change in the
source document.

It imported fine for me.

2.) Should I expect Orca will auto announce row and column headers
plus cell contents as I tab and shift-tab through this document?

It should once you set them.  To tell Orca that the current row has your
headers, press Insert R.  Similarly, Insert C tells Orca that the
current column has headers.  If you want to clear either of these, you
press the command twice quickly.

I did notice something, however.  The fact that this spreadsheet has the
first row frozen seems to cause Insert R to fail to make it the location
of the column headers.  I'll investigate that further and file a bug if
that is indeed the case.  In the meantime, here's what you can do:  Go
to the Window menu, arrow to freeze, and press Enter on it.  Freeze is a
toggle and Orca is not indicating it's state when it is checked.  Bug
number 2 which I'll file shortly.  For now, the Problems and Needs sheet
is Frozen as is the Needs sheet.  The Problems sheet is not.

What
would be the short list of user commands I should try in order to access
read and write operations in this ss.

Beyond setting the headers:  By default, when you navigate in a
spreadsheet, Orca speaks the entire rows contents. If you want it to
just speak the current cell as you arrow up and down, you can press Orca
Modifier F11.

Looking at the Problems sheet I get the distinct feeling that a sighted
person created it. <grin>  Each cell in column B is huge and contains
line after line after line of text.  It's very attractive though. <grin>
Anyhoo, what this means is that moving to the cell will cause Orca to
read all of those lines as a single object.  If your goal is to casually
read what's there, that shouldn't be a problem.  If your goal is to
examine what's there, you might consider getting into editing mode for
the cell in question.  To do so, press F2.  That's a Calc command by the
way. When you're in editing mode, the cell functions like a entry and
you can arrow around in it.  To get out of editing mode, press Escape.

If this question sounds like I'm
inexperienced with spread sheets--I will readily confess this is the
case.

Then just in case:

* To navigate among worksheets in the workbook, press Control Page Up
and Control Page Down.

* If you arrow to a cell and start typing, what you type will get added
into that cell.  When you're finished writing, you can use the arrow
keys to move to the cell you want to look at next.  Also, Tab will move
you to the next cell on the right; Enter will move you to the next cell
down.  If you got into this writing situation by accident (i.e. by
bumping a key), press Escape.  That will restore the cell's contents to
whatever they were before you bumped it. <smile>

* In light of the above bit about arrowing moving you to the next cell
even when you are writing:  What you might prefer to do when writing in
a cell is to press F2 to get into editing mode.  Then, as I mentioned
above, the cell functions like an entry.  Enter will still get you out
of editing mode, however.  So if you need to force a line break within a
cell, use Control Enter.

3.) System performance seems somewhat sluggish in this document on
my 1.03GhZ laptop with 1Gb RAM and its 5400 rpm IDE drive. Does that
sound right? Am I underpowered for this kind of work?

I don't think you're underpowered.  I noticed some sluggishness as well
(2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM) but only when I had Orca set to speak the entire row.
When speak cell was enabled the performance was good.

Hope this helps!  If you have more questions, let me know.
Joanie