Re: [orca-list] sound on feisty

Hi,
On Mo, Apr 23, 2007 at 02:24:34 +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
Don't forget there is the other system by modifying the bonobo
activation file. To list the instructions for that precisely, here they
are.
1. Open the GNOME_Speech bonobo activation file for the synth of your
choice (eg. for espeak on my ubuntu system I
open /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Espeak.server). NOTE: you will need to open this
with read/write access which probably means that you will need administrator/root rights.
2. Modify line 3 which contains something like
type="exe" location="/usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver">
and add aoss to the beginning of the location string, so the above
becomes
type="exe" location="aoss /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver">
Now save the file and logout and login again.

How do these two systems compare? The above could even be put into a
patch file (if I knew how to create a patch file or someone else could
make the patch).

A disadvantage of this method is that user need
allways the alsa-oss package installed.

Modifieing the synthesis-driver in this way I discribed falls back to
use oss if the libaoss.so isn't installed.
Users with soundcards like sblive don't need the alsa-oss package
installed.

HTH.
Halim