Re: [orca-list] Building rpm problem

I'm glat to hear the latest rpm of Orca from our Speakup Modified
repository is doing braille properly. Thatis indeed good news, because
there were problems with braille support in recent months.

Magnification support should also be present in the same rpm. You should
also have gnome-mag installed for magnification. Please let me know if
there are issues with magnification, or if something develops regarding
braille or speech, for that matter.

Janina

Lars Bj?rndal writes:
Hi, Janina!

I've now tried the latest orca rpm from speakupmodified.org, and it
works with braille, and with speech of course.

Which rpm do I need to install to also try out magnification (not for
my self)? Do you know?

Thank you very much!

Lars

Janina Sajka <janina freestandards org> writes:

I understand, Lars.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but I am
interested in helping to figure out how best to support both speech and
braille from the Orca rpms I build. Have you tried the rpm I released
yesterday of orca-2.18.1? I'm not a braille user, so issues can
certainly slip past me. Please let me know. I will work with you on
this.

Janina

Lars Bj?rndal writes:
Hello, Janina, and thank you much for your answer!

My approach is to install a reasonable version of Orca that can be
used together with the development 3.8dev version of BRLTTY. I've
never used GUI under Linux before, so I just wanted to test it. What's my
best bet then, do you think? Is the FC6 RPMs from seakupmodified.org
compatible with BRLTTY 3.8dev?

Again, thank you!

Lars

Janina Sajka <janina rednote net> writes:

Hi, Lars:

Well yes, you certainly to have to satisfy the dependencies in order to
build or install rpms. Sometimes this is trivial, sometimes it will have
you tearing your hair out.

I notice you're trying to build for the new development environment.
While you can certainly grab rpms from the Fedora development tree,
please note that Fedora has moved to Python-2.5 in the current
development cycle. At this stage, about a month ahead of the release of
FC7, you might rather want to simply install Test 3 of the FC7 beta, if
this is where you actually want to be.

Of course it's a bit hard to advise when you go out ahead of the
distribution like this. Fedora will focus now on the FC7 release, so
isn't likely to start building gnome-2.19 for about six weeks. You may
indeed need to build some packages beyond what is available from the
development repositories.

I presume you're aware of yum and syntax such as:

yum --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo=development install [package]

You can check what repositories are available by looking at their
configuration files in /etc/yum.repos.d/. You can permanently enable any
particular repository by adjusting the "enabled=" setting in those
files.

Be ware. There is no claim that development packages will play nice with
one another. In fact, if you install too many, you can pretty much
guarantee breakage. And, when you go into a development cycle early, you
should also expect lots of breakage. You get to pick up the pieces.

PS: I have been rebuilding key orca/lsr related packages for FC6, in
case you're not aware. These are made available via http, ftp, rsync,
and yum from SpeakupModified.Org. However, I don't expect to go to 2.19
for another month or more. My focus will more or less track Fedora, so
will now be on the upcoming FC7 release.

hth

Janina

Lars Bj?rndal writes:
Hello, list!

I got the following error message while trying to build orca rpm on my
Fedora FC6 system:

  Failed build dependencies: eel-2.0 >= 2.14.0, libspi-1.0 >= 1.7.6
and gnome-speech-1.0 >= ${gnome_speech_version} is needed by
orca-2.19.1pre-1.i386.rpm.

I installed eel2-2.18.0.1-3.fc7 from the development repository, but I
got the same error message. Do I need to build all these pacage first,
or can I find some rpms somewhere?

Lars

Janina Sajka,    Phone:  +1.202.595.7777;        sip:janina a11y org
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC       http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Chair, Open Accessibility        janina a11y org
Linux Foundation         http://a11y.org

--
Lars Bjrndal <lars bjorndal broadpark no>
Storetveitsen 15, 5067 Bergen.