Re: [orca-list] uninstalling gnome-orca

Hi Halim:

I think it's possible to run orca by typing /usr/local/bin/orca
without uninstalling the gnome-orca package is it?

If you don't build/install orca to --prefix=/usr, you will not have the
conflict.  We're just in a really gray area right now that requires a
little bit of knowledge about Linux and the distribution you're working
with.

Setting --prefix=/usr/local will work fine, but the problem is that you
now have a /usr/bin/orca and a /usr/local/bin/orca.  People get confused
by this.  In addition, if your distribution doesn't automagically set
your PATH to include /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin, you will scratch
your head wondering why the old Orca keeps running whenever you type
"orca".

There's probably some less complicated way to do all of this.  Maybe
telling people to use --prefix=/usr/local is the right thing to do for
Ubuntu?  It does seem to put /usr/local/bin on the PATH before /usr/bin.

Will