Re: [orca-list] finally on ubuntu!

Congratulations! Here's some magic commands for building Orca from SVN -- I just pulled them from the Ubuntu section of "Setting Up Your Build Environment" of http://live.gnome.org/Orca/DownloadInstall:

sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-orca
sudo apt-get install subversion gnome-common
svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/orca/trunk
cd trunk
./autogen --prefix=/usr
make
make install

Once you get the latest Orca working, you probably should also do an 'sudo apt-get remove gnome-orca' to keep Ubuntu from getting confused that you've installed the latest sources over the official package.

Then..for Firefox, grab the latest nightly from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/ and issue commands similar to the following (the actual filename will be different depending upon the name of the latest nightly build). I pulled these from http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Firefox:

bunzip2 firefox-3.0a3pre.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2
tar -xvf firefox-3.0a3pre.en-US.linux-i686.tar
cd firefox
./firefox

Hope this helps!

Will

Mohammed Al-shar' wrote:
hi listers.
first, thanks for everybody who has helped in making me install my first linux ever. the install went fine this time, things went smoothely. now I do want to get the latest version of orca and firefox, how do I? I read the documentation availlable on live.gnome.org/orca but it doesn't seem to be enough for somebody who never knew what linux is before. I got at the point where I had to install svn as it appearantly isn't installed automatically with ubuntu. if there was an easier method let me know. I'd appreciate any help you may be able to offer. thanks
Mohammed al-shar'