[orca-list] intro

hi listers.

I am mohammed al-shar' from Jordan in the middle east. I am very new to linux and orca, and obviously my background is microsoft operating system and its based screen readers. well, actually I get to deal with linux when I administer our business VPS account so I know afew basics.

I haven't gone anywhere in orca, other than downloading ubuntu-6.10 "the live cd". I am not sure yet, but it looks the sound cards on both machines are not supported, I couldn't get orca to speak when I boot from that cd. I tried to skim through the wicky but couldn't find any beginner info on orca. I would appreciate any advice on how to properly start with linux and orca.

some of my questions would of course be:
1. which linux version is right for me to get me started?
2. where can I obtain an easier form of documentation?
3. what if I don't have an external synth or braille display?

appreciate your answers. may be then we could write a page in the wicky to people like myself?

best regards,

Mohammed al-shar'