Re: Orca access to apps in wine?

Hi Joanie,

Hi all.  There's one Windows application that I'd really like to be able
to use in Linux:  Duxbury.  I am not surprised that Orca sees it as an
"inaccessible".  My question, however, is this:  Is the reason it is an
"inaccessible" due to how Wine is implemented or how Duxbury is
implemented?

The answer is "both and", and stems from the fact that all graphical accessibility in GNOME/UNIX is API-based access: the AT makes queries of the objects in the applications, and based on the answers it gets it re-presents the application in an alternate modality -> in speech, Braille, magnification, etc.

In order for Duxbury to work in WINE on Linux, we would need the following things: 1. Windows to have defined a rich accessibility API that includes more or less everything our AT-SPI contains
2. Duxbury to have implemented that non-existent Windows accessibility API
3. WINE to have included a bunch of glue code that bridges the non-existent Windows accessibility API from those Windows apps that implement it to the UNIX AT-SPI.

By contrast, Java apps do work in UNIX because:
1. Java has defined a rich accessibility API that includes nearly everything in AT-SPI (and in fact, the Java accessibility API is the 'parent' of AT-SPI) 2. Java Swing apps, and a variety of other apps, implement the Java accessibility API 3. The gnome-java-bridge, which we load into the Java Runtime, is the glue code that bridges the Java accessibility API to the UNIX AT-SPI

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.