Orca startup problem with espeak and speech-dispatcher

Hi,
in order to use Orca with espeak, one has to start speech-dispatcher within
the system start.
Having started my system, I cannot use Orca with espeak immediately,
because
espeak and speech-dispatcher don't cooperate.
Entering
spd-say "wie geht es dir"
produces no speech output, but no error messages too.
Note: My standard language is German.
For English as a secondary language I use Festival Lite, which is run by
speech-dispatcher too.
Entering
spd-say -l en "how are you"
produces speech output.
/var/log/speech-dispatcher/espeak.log says:
sh: speak: not found
Restarting speech-dispatcher as root solves the problem.
Note: Speech-dispatcher doesn't start up as root, it starts as user
speech-dispatcher and is assigned to the group audio.
Any fixes or work arounds for this bug?
Regards
Hermann