Re: Orca manually starting orca and related problem

Hi Aruni:

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 18:53 +0530, Aruni Sharma wrote:
Hello list, since the accessibility boot is not working on my system, I
manually start orca after the system is fully up. I mean, the f5
sequence is not working. When I manually start orca, it asks me a number
of questions and says that accessibility settings have been activated or
something and I need to log out and log in again.

The reason you need to log out is to allow the whole GNOME desktop to
restart and recognize that accessibility is now enabled.  If you don't
do this, then nothing will be visible to Orca.

Note that the accessibility setting is sticky: once you've enabled it as
a user, you do not need to re-enable it again for the same account.

It asks me to hit
enter and after few seconds, it says, "welcome to orca, switching to
focus tracking mode. after there is no sound what soever no matter which
key I press.

Bummer.  The setup code should have detected that accessibility was not
enabled for your session and just quit Orca.  Hmm....we'll need to look
into this.  I know we had it working at one time.

It doesn't seem to work at all. It is only when I press the
ctrl+alt+del that it says good bye. Please help. so does this method of
starting orca cause problems like this regularly?

F5 is only for enabling the accessible install stuff.  Once you've
installed Ubuntu, you start Orca in one of several different ways:

o Running "orca" from a virtual console (make sure DISPLAY=:0)

OR

o Log in (in silence), wait for the login sound confirmation,
  press Alt+F2 to bring up the "Run Application" dialog,
  enter "orca" and press return

OR

o Raman has tried running orca from within emacspeak, but he's
  had limited success with this.  I'm not an emacspeak user and
  I only use emacs as a text editor, so I have little understanding
  of why things might be going wrong from within emacspeak.  :-(

Once you get past this, you can then configure your system to
automatically start Orca when you log in.  You can do this via:

o Alt+F1 to bring up the main menu for the desktop.
  Arrow right twice to the "System" menu.
  Arrow down once to the "Preferences" menu.
  Arrow right once into the "Preferences" menu.
  Arrow down once to the "Assistive Technology Preferences" item.
  Press Return to bring the accessibility preferences dialog up.
  Tab to the "Start screenreader and magnifier at log in" checkbox.
  Make sure the checkbox is selected by pressing Space.
  Tab to the "Close and Log Out" button and press Enter.
  The next time you log in, Orca should start automatically.

OR

o Go to the "System->Preferences" menu as described above.
  Arrow up about 4 times to the "Sessions" item and press Enter.
  Arrow right twice to the "Startup Programs" page tab.
  Press Alt+A to add a startup program.
  Type "orca" and then Alt+O (to select the OK button).
  Press Alt+C twice to close the various windows.
  The next time you log in, Orca should start automatically.

Ideally, the Ubuntu install might detect that an accessible install was
performed and make sure the assistive technology used for the install is
also enabled by default for the account that was set up as part of the
install.

Will