orca 0.2.4 compiler log error

  I just installed Ubuntu 5.10 on my laptop and I can't seem to get orca to install. it keeps complaining the compiler will not compile.
here are the commands I typed:
cd /home/churst/Desktop/orca
./configure prefix=/usr
:error:C compiler cannot create executable
See config.log for mre details
Here are the things that it failed to check that were No.
checking for gawk ... no
Checking whether makesets $(MAKE) ... no
checking whether to enable maintainer - specific portions of makefiles ... no
Checking for style of include used by make ... none
checking for C compiler default output filename ... configure:error:C compiler can not create executables
what is going on here and what do i need to install to get orca to compile correctly?