Re: Orca Accessible OpenDocument reader

Daniel Carrera wrote:
Hello,

I met Henrik at LugRadio today (nice meeting you Henrik!). I had given a
talk about the OpenDocument format, and demonstrated a simple ODF
viewer. Henrik asked about making an accessible version of the ODF
reader, something that would let people read ODF files right on the
command-line, as plain text.

Well... I just finished "version 0.1" of an accessible, text-only ODF
reader. And I thought that this list would be interested:

http://opendocumentfellowship.org/node/152

The way the original viewer works is by turning ODF into HTML and giving
the result to a Gecko-based application. The way this reader works is by
doing the same thing but giving the HTML to LynX. Persto! Now we have an
accessible ODF reader that preserves document structure like headings,
lists, and even hyperlinks.

What do you think? Any chance to see this in Ubuntu one day?

Oh, and if you want to know about me (who the heck is Daniel Carrera?)
see here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DanielCarrera

Great work Daniel!

It works nicely, and is of course blazingly fast :) (compared with opening OpenOffice for example)

I'm copying in the Orca list so they are aware of this too.

- Henrik