Orca Can't load up Ubuntu latest release to my computer!

Hi All,

I am using a dell dimension with 512 megs of ram and an 80 GB hard drive.
Its also a 2.8 GB P4 processor. I just cannot get the Ubuntu CD to  load up
on the computer. I wish to run it from the CD but after I get the start-up
menu and make my choices which I use "f5 plus Number 3 and enter" I  get a
blank screen. On this computer is already installed windows XP. It is using
the fat32 file system. I have wondered if there were some extra partician
present on the hard drive but I cannot determine this, because I thought
maybe this might interfere with the process of loading up Ubuntu.

Many thanks for any help,

Paul.