Re: Orca troubbles by running orca

Hoppa Willie and all readers,

on Friday, December 15, 2006 at 10:14:25 AM means Willie Walker:
Enter desired locale, or 'all' to display all voices:
1. kal_diphone (language english)
Select voice: 1
** (process:5814): WARNING **: Failed to send buffer
Segmentation fault
sdellit server:~$
Script done on Thu 14 Dec 2006 03:23:37 PM CET

OK - this is not good.  :-(  There are some debugging speech steps at
the following URL: http://live.gnome.org/Orca/GnomeSpeech.  Steps 6 and
7 might be the ones to try next.

6. If things spoke at one time, but are no longer working, try doing a 'ps -fax | grep synthesis-driver' or
'ps -elf | grep synthesis-driver'. Kill the
associated process and try 'test-speech' again. If speech works again, then a driver got hung.
:-(

I can't find the process. I search with ps aux/elf/fax and grep to
Synthesis, synthesis, driver, etc. Only festival can be found.

7. Do any speech services show up with the gnome-speech 'test-speech' utility?

Yes.

B. If there are files, then try running one of the drivers by hand from a terminal window. You'll know the
location and name of the driver by looking for
the type="exe" line in the relevant /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_Speech_
SynthesisDriver
_* file.

Who can I run the driver by hand? I try:

# cd /usr/lib/bonobo/servers
# ./GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival.server

But "command not found".

But a:

# cat ./GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival.server

show the content of the file.

i. Make sure you kill all running synthesis-drivers before running the driver by hand.
ii. See if there are any errors when you run the driver by hand in a terminal window. If there are no errors,
then run test-speech from another terminal
window. See if you can make test-speech talk. If you can, the problem may be that Bonobo is not starting the
driver for some odd reason. If you still cannot
make test-speech talk, it's probably time to jot down any errors you might be seeing and
ask us for help.

OK, I ask for help.

I remember, when I start orca, I hear a voice "welcome to orca", than
the voice and orca crashing.

I Found a thread in the www:

http://www.nabble.com/Problems-with-gnome-speech-tf849200.html#a2201501

I also have an amd64 with the debian amd64 etch. It this the reason?
What can I do for this?

Thanks and
--
Best regards Sebastian
ICQ: 264706583 / MSM: sebo blinzeln de / Skype: sebo_de