Orca problems with gnome under Ubuntu Edgy

        Hello everyone,
This may be more of a gnome desktop question, but I'm hoping someone can help me. Orca is acting fairly strange on my system. I have install Ubuntu Edgy and have done a dist-upgrade. I am running an amd64-based system, but I am using a standard x86 kernel. When trying to use orca, the speech will studder after speaking. For example, while arrowing down a menu, I will hear the menu item that is highlighted, followed by a short burst of sound from the synthesizer. It sounds like it is starting to speak something and is very quickly cut off. Also, periodically, I will arrow down to a line of text and the synth will keep repeating the text over and over again. When I move to something else, te synthesizer will read the new item, but will still repeat it over and over again. I have tried both Festival and DECtalk software. I have also had gnome freeze while playing the Ubuntu startup sound. I am having a lot of trouble pinning this down. I can't tell if this is a sound card issue or a video card issue, or what. I have tried two different sounds cards. I have also trid installing the Nvidia drivers for the X server. I am running an Asus a8n-vm motherboard. It has on-board video and sound. The board uses an NForce 4 chipset. I have tried both the on-board sound and a soundblaster Audigy Platinum. Both the cards are using ALSA. Nothing seems to solve this. Everything works fine on another system that I have at work that uses an Intel chipset.
Any help would be appreciated.