Re: Strange behavior with Dec Express and Orca

I'm using the Emacspeak speech server for my Dec Express, and for the
most part it works quite well with Orca.

Yeah!  Thanks much to T.V. Raman for helping incorporate the Emacspeak
speech server support into Orca.

However, any time I
encounter text enclosed in brackets, for example, [root localhost~]
the string is parsed as a command code for the Dec itself, rather
than just being spoken as text.  I've tested for the same behavior in
Emacspeak, but it doesn't happen there.

I think DECtalk wants to interpret [blahblah] as a command because of
the leading "[".  I'm not sure how to tell it to *not* do this, but I
suspect that is what is causing the problem.  There's a way to tell
DECtalk to not speak errors ("[:error ignore]"), but I'm not sure this
is the right thing to do.  BTW, there is some code in the gnome-speech
handler for Orca that attempts to replace any "[" with "[ "; this seems
to prevent DECtalk from interpreting it as a command, but it wreaks
havoc with speaking things such as "make[1]".  I suspect Raman's doing
something smart inside emacspeak for this, but I'm not sure what it is
(I'll drop him a line).

In the meantime, if there's someone in the community who's more intimate
with tips and tricks for the DECtalk inline command set (or maybe even
the API) that could help with this problem, I'd love to hear from
them.  :-)

Will