Re: Orbit2 Details

yateen joshi wrote:

Hi,

I am on a lookout for a CORBA that will satisfy my following requirements. I tried to get the information for the same through various documents on Orbit and Orbit2, but could not find much. It will be appreciated if I get following information (in short ).
Some of your questions will be answered by reading the home page: http://www.gnome.org/projects/ORBit2/

But here are some answers relating to the C++ bindings. There is, however, a separate list for discussing the C++ bindings. It is: orbitcpp-list gnome org

3. What bindings are supported (e.g. C++, JAVA, C)?
C++ is supported as a thin wrapper around the C binding. Orbitcpp it less mature than the C binding but quite capable for many tasks. If you find something that you need is not implemented, please email the mailing list or post a bug in bugzilla. Lots of things can be sorted out quite quickly if we know they aren't wrappered properly.

4. Performance
	a. Good C++ Speed
The C++ binding is wrapper around the C binding. As such the performance will be similar but slightly slower with slightly higher memory consumption.

5. Does it provide following features - l. C++ STL support
Depends what you mean by support. We don't package a version of the STL with orbitcpp but we don't interfere with it either. So you should be able to use as much of the standard library as your compiler supports. Orbitcpp works well with g++ which comes with an implementation of the standard library.

	m. C++ design pattern support
Again, we don't provide any implementations of any design patterns but we shouldn't be interfering with any code or libraries you want to make use of.

The source code is freely available so it is a good idea for you to download it and try using the code yourself.

--
Bowie Owens

CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
phone  : +61 3 9545 8055
fax    : +61 3 9545 8080
mobile : 0425 729 875
email  : Bowie Owens csiro au