ORBit2 native codeset specification

Hi,

I've got a CORBA client written in Java that connects to a server
written in C. I'm using ORBit2 V2.8.2 on the C side. The Java client
naturally uses UCS-2, the C server uses ISO8859-1. I'm using "string" in
IDL for text transfers.

When running the server on Sun Solaris, everything is fine. If I run the
server on Linux, all umlaut characters get mangled. It looks like all non-ASCII characters are converted to UTF-8 on Linux. :-((

Does anyone out there know how I can tell the ORB that my native codeset is ISO-8859-1, not UTF-8 ?

I've already tried setting the LANG environment variable to de_AT.iso88591 or de_AT.ISO-8859-1 and calling called setlocale().

I wasn't able to find any API for setting the codeset in ORBit, neither did googling do me any good.

Many thanx in advance, Wolfgang

PS: If I'm posting this to the wrong mailing list, please advise me of a better one.

--

Wolfgang Bachmann

ecofinance Finanzsoftware & Consulting GmbH
Graz / Vienna / Essen / London
Grieskai 10, 8020 Graz, Austria
Phone: (++43) 316 908030 Fax: (++43) 316 908030-24
http://www.ecofinance.com