Re: ORBit2 native codeset specification

Wolfgang Bachmann wrote:

Hi,

I've got a CORBA client written in Java that connects to a server
written in C. I'm using ORBit2 V2.8.2 on the C side. The Java client
naturally uses UCS-2, the C server uses ISO8859-1. I'm using "string" in
IDL for text transfers.

When running the server on Sun Solaris, everything is fine. If I run the
server on Linux, all umlaut characters get mangled. It looks like all non-ASCII characters are converted to UTF-8 on Linux. :-((

Does anyone out there know how I can tell the ORB that my native codeset is ISO-8859-1, not UTF-8 ?

AFAIK, ORBit2 does not do any string conversion, ORBit2 allways assumes UTF-8- encoding, being encoded in stringified IOR:0100.... for client; client is choosing specific encoding.
Talking about Solaris and Linux setup, are you using different representations for object references, IOR vs. Corbaloc?
Corbaloc representation does not provide any information related to string-encoding.

Regards,
Frank

--
Frank Rehberger