Re: orbhttp.[ch] missing from the 2.9.6 and 2.9.7 tarballs

Hello.

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 14:29, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 14:31 +0000, Richard Dawe wrote:
> > If I configure ORBit2 2.9.6 with "configure --enable-http", the build
> > will fail, due to a missing orbhttp.h.
>
> 	Right; the problem is that that code is pretty close to an abomination
> - so I'm happy to see it die really.

I got that impression from the comments in corba-orb.c and orbhttp.c. ;)

> > In fact, the files orbhttp.[ch] seem to be missing from the ORBit2 2.9.6
> > and 2.9.7 tarballs. They are in the 2.5.1 tarball. I didn't check
> > versions between those. They seem to be in CVS. So I think there's some
> > kind of packaging error.
>
> 	Right; what do you need the feature for ?

I don't need it. I was just looking at adding support for file:// URLs
for IORs. Maybe they're already supported. Anyhow I wanted to look at
the source for orb_http_resolve (called by CORBA_ORB_string_to_object),
to check that it didn't handle file:// URLs.

If you're wondering why I want to add support file:// URLs, it's because
its a nice feature of TAO and I would like ORBit2 to have it too.

> ultimately I'd forgotten that option was still there; we should
> I guess add those files to EXTRA_DIST or something; fixed in HEAD.

Thanks!

Richard Dawe
Software Engineer - Mail Engine
MessageLabs Inc.