Re: Cross Compiling ORBit2 to ARM Processor

Most of the problems have to do with the dependancies.

glib depends on popt, popt depends on glib,  glib depends on gettext,
gettext depends on glib.

Catch 22 stuff...   I've probably exagerated. things a little.    Where you
see this is when you are trying to build for a "bare" machine.   I'm
talking bare with respect to the open-source dependancies needed to
actually get something working.  You start feeling like it's impossible
sometimes... and the only way around it is to build really old versions of
everything... stuff before each open-source project started intertwining
the dependancies.... then start bringing in the latest stuff.

Basicly we need a way to turn off all the "checks" for explicit versions of
other libraries, "glib" for instance.   Then the tests the configure scrip
does need to be turned off too.  Including a "glib-small" (or other libs
would be usefull) that has only the glib (other?) functions used in ORBit
so when you are embedding you don't end up in a "catch-22" situation.
Then the script needs to quit putting explicit paths in for things the
compiler knows about...   i.e. no explicit paths in the makefile for
/usr/include /usr/lib stuff.

We could probably capture some of the explict PPC ( ARM) settings from what
we've done with the config for ORBit  and send them to you for inclusion
for an explicit settings ...  say --target=lynxos_ppc --endian=big
What would be usefull to send you?   config.h? or the configure.log?
We've manage to set a LynxOS/PPC machine up so the configure scripts can be
run on the target.

Anyhow, just my 2cents.

David Haverkamp

                      Michael Meeks
                      <michael@ximian.c        To:       David Haverkamp <dahaverk@rockwellcollins.com>
                      om>                      cc:       lgust@verizon.net, orbit <orbit-list@gnome.org>
                                               Subject:  Re: Cross Compiling ORBit2 to ARM Processor
                      10/30/2003 04:41
                      AM

Hi David,

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 17:19, dahaverk@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> The config stuff doesn't understand cross compiling...  So, if you can
> config on your machine, then copy back to your cross compiler machine
that
> helps.  Don't forget to edit out the "/usr/lib" etc paths from the
> Makefiles.    That way the cross-compiler can pick up the libraries it
> needs.

             I forget if there was anything we could do in ORBit2 to
improve the
situation for cross-compiling ? do we cache all the interesting settings
so you guys can twiddle them there ?

 michael@ximian.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot