C++ app implementing client and server

I hope I'm doing something dumb.  I'm using ORBit2-2.8.1.90-1 on redhat 8.
My application first creates a thread and starts a server from that thread
(I've pretty much just copied the echo example).  It then reads an IOR from
a file and tries to send a simple text message.  It creates a client using
the read IOR and attempts to send.  The IOR refers to another independant
orbit2 server running on the same machine.

stepping through in gdb, walks me to the stubs.c method for my SendMessage
method.  when ORBit_small_invoke_stub_n is called the following warning is
delivered:

WARNING **: FIXME guard from double entry

The message is sent to the server correctly. But....Now the server that was
initially initilized by my app and ran won't handle requests.  When I start
another independant client (really just the echo client) and try to send
messages the server never appears to recieve them and the client is hung up
on waiting for a response (it doesn't say that no service is available).

At this point my original client can still send messages to the independant
server with no trouble.

Also, if I don't have my application send any messages (creating the client
seems to cause no harm) my app's server will accept messages without a
problem.

I'm initializing my orb with "orbit-local-mt-orb" since I'm running a
multithreaded application and I assumed that if I wanted my orb to both send
and recieve messages it needed to be initialized this way.

So...it seems the orb doesn't like how I'm using it, but none of my attempts
have seemed to make it happy.

I'm very new to ORBit2 and haven't been able to find a previous message that
addresses this (at least as far I've searched) and would appreciate any
help/suggestions.

Thanks,
Tyler