Cross Compiling ORBit2 to ARM Processor

Has anyone cross compiled ORBit2 to run on a ARM processor that could give me some help in completing this task? My development system is a x86 runing Debian Linux and the target machine is a embedded ARM processor running Debian Linux.

I believe I need to cross compile the following packages to build the shared libraries needed on the target machine:

        glib-2.0.7.tar.gz
        gettext-0.11.5.tar.gz
        libIDL-0.8.2.tar.gz
        popt-1.6.3.tar.gz
        linc-1.0.3.tar.gz
        ORBit2-2.7.6.tar.gz
        orbitcpp-1.3.7.tar.gz

I have cross compiled glib, gettext, libIDL, popt and linc to create the shared libraries. I am currrently trying to cross compile ORBit2-2.7.6. When I execute the following command from the directory I'm builing the package in, I get the following errors:

../ORBit2-2.7.6/configure --build=`../ORBit2-2.7.6/config.guess` --host=armv5b --target=armv5b --prefix=/home/lgust/ramdisk --disable-test --without-glib --without-gettext LDFLAGS=-L/home/lgust/ramdisk/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/home/lgust/ramdisk/include CXX=armv5b-linux-g++ CPP=armv5b-linux-cpp LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/lgust/ramdisk/lib  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig  PATH=.:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/lgust/bin:/home/star/bin:/usr/local/arm-linux/bin

This failed when configure could not find the correct version of popt which was alread built and installed on the development system:
configure: error: You must have popt version 1.5 or greater installed.

I edited the configure script to force passing the test:
ac_cv_lib_popt_poptStrippedArgv=yes <<on line 21000>>

After the pactch to configure, the configuration script failed with the following error:
configure: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling

Is there a way to get the configure script to by-pass its tests and just set up the Makefiles to compile and link the shared library?

Regards,
Larry S. Gustafson