Re: Cross Compiling ORBit2 to ARM Processor

Yes.   That looks like most of the dependancies...

Start with glib, popt, gettext.   Then start trying to build the ORB and
build stuff it complains about.

The config stuff doesn't understand cross compiling...  So, if you can
config on your machine, then copy back to your cross compiler machine that
helps.  Don't forget to edit out the "/usr/lib" etc paths from the
Makefiles.    That way the cross-compiler can pick up the libraries it
needs.

It's all rather painfull...  But possible to do.

-Dave

                      <lgust@verizon.ne
                      t>                       To:       <orbit-list@gnome.org>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      orbit-list-admin@        Subject:  Cross Compiling ORBit2 to ARM Processor
                      gnome.org

                      10/27/2003 02:31
                      PM

Has anyone cross compiled ORBit2 to run on a ARM processor that could give
me some help in completing this task? My development system is a x86 runing
Debian Linux and the target machine is a embedded ARM processor running
Debian Linux.

I believe I need to cross compile the following packages to build the
shared libraries needed on the target machine:

        glib-2.0.7.tar.gz
        gettext-0.11.5.tar.gz
        libIDL-0.8.2.tar.gz
        popt-1.6.3.tar.gz
        linc-1.0.3.tar.gz
        ORBit2-2.7.6.tar.gz
        orbitcpp-1.3.7.tar.gz

I have cross compiled glib, gettext, libIDL, popt and linc to create the
shared libraries. I am currrently trying to cross compile ORBit2-2.7.6.
When I execute the following command from the directory I'm builing the
package in, I get the following errors:

../ORBit2-2.7.6/configure --build=`../ORBit2-2.7.6/config.guess`
--host=armv5b --target=armv5b --prefix=/home/lgust/ramdisk --disable-test
--without-glib --without-gettext LDFLAGS=-L/home/lgust/ramdisk/lib CPPFLAGS
=-I/home/lgust/ramdisk/include CXX=armv5b-linux-g++ CPP=armv5b-linux-cpp
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/lgust/ramdisk/lib
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig  PATH
=.:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/lgust/bin:/home/star/bin:/usr/local/arm-linux/bin

This failed when configure could not find the correct version of popt which
was alread built and installed on the development system:
configure: error: You must have popt version 1.5 or greater installed.

I edited the configure script to force passing the test:
ac_cv_lib_popt_poptStrippedArgv=yes <<on line 21000>>

After the pactch to configure, the configuration script failed with the
following error:
configure: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling

Is there a way to get the configure script to by-pass its tests and just
set up the Makefiles to compile and link the shared library?

Regards,
Larry S. Gustafson